Learn how Connetix can help your child discover the joy of mathematics through play.
If you’ve ever sat down and observed your toddler play, you might notice that they are great experimenters. They love to pick up new toys and see how they work.
Your child may pick up a toy car and observe how it rolls on the ground, then bring it to the table to see if it works there, then test it out on the wall. Their experimentation with the toy helps them conclude that cars are great toys for rolling.
At its most foundational level, mathematics is all about play. When kids gather their favourite toys in a bucket, they are experimenting with mathematics through play. Here are six ways that your children can use Connetix to explore mathematical concepts.
Connetix magnetic tiles make it easy for toddlers and children to experiment with units of measurement through play. Kids naturally love to fill items in an open container. Our 24 piece motion pack is being used in the picture to store items in a train container.
However, any Connetix magnetic tile set would help expand your child’s understanding and reasoning around measurement. Children can use Connetix to help them experiment with mathematical concepts of measurement, including:
- Making direct and indirect comparisons about the length of two or more designs
- Making direct and indirect comparisons about the weight of two or more objects
- Using everyday language to reason and explain units of measurement
Connetix tiles are uniquely set up for children to explore and play with units of measurement. Since the tiles come in different sizes and shapes, children are free to explore how units of measure from small tiles compares with larger tiles.
The ability to flexibly reason and problem solve provide opportunities for developmental mathematical skills.
Connetix magnetic tiles make it easy for children to explore and create both two-dimensional and three-dimensional shapes. It allows children to use their innate curiosity and imagination to experiment with different tiles to create complex creations.
Because two-dimensional and three-dimensional concepts can be quite abstract, Connetix magnetic tiles make the perfect at-home resource to play with different shapes to see how they can work together.
Our 100 piece creative pack makes an excellent gift for your creative toddler while expanding their reasoning with shapes that follow foundational mathematical standards.
With Connetix magnetic tiles, your child will learn to:
- Identify, name, and describe two-dimensional and three-dimensional shapes
- Build two-dimensional and three-dimensional creations
- Reason and explain how two and three-dimensional make creations
Your children will love to explore and experiment with different tiles to make all kinds of creations. Children will love explaining how they built their masterpieces.
3. Location and Transformation
The ability to describe the position and movement of an object is a foundational mathematical skill. Connetix magnetic tiles make it easy for your child to experiment with different creations to expand their vocabulary around position and movement.
Children are natural tinkerers. That’s what makes the Connetix brand so fun! As your child learns how the magnetic tiles work, they will instantly begin raising the stakes to see what they can build and even incorporate some of their favourite toys into the mix.
As your child plays, they’ll learn to:
- Describe the position of an object
- Explain how and why an object moves from one place to another
Our 92 piece ball run pack is an excellent option for children learning about location and transformation.
4. Data Representation and Interpretation
Children love to make inferences about the world around them, and Connetix is an excellent tool for developing your child’s natural curiosity around interpreting data. They can use Connetix magnetic tiles to arrange data by colour, shape, size, or numerical values.
With Connetix tiles, your child will learn to:
- Make inferences about data and interpret how to categorise objects
- Use mathematical language to explain their reasoning behind their data
- Answer yes/no questions to collect information and make simple inferences
The Connetix 62 piece starter pack is an excellent choice for developing an understanding of interpreting data.
5. Number and Place Value
Building your child’s numerical understanding is paramount to their future success in mathematics. There are tons of ways you can use Connetix magnetic tiles to develop your child’s number recognition, learn to subitise objects in a set or model their mathematical understanding.
Some ways to build numerical understanding is:
- Creating a design by matching numbers
- Matching a dot formation to a number using tiles
- Using tiles to explore addition
- Grouping tiles in bundles and ones to experiment with place value
Connetix helps children learn foundational mathematical concepts, including:
- Compare, order and make correspondences between collections, initially to 20 and explain the reasoning
- Represent practical situations to model addition and sharing
Using your imagination, you can find many ways to incorporate Connetix tiles into meaningful learning experiences.
Ask any mathematician what makes them unique from other thinkers, and they may just say their ability to recognise patterns. Mathematics is routed in patterns, from the Fibonacci sequence to data analysis.
That’s why Connetix makes such an incredible resource for your toddler to start recognising patterns. With Connetix, your child will learn to:
- Sort and classify familiar objects and explain the basis for the classifications
- Copy, continue and create patterns with objects and drawings
Connetix magnetic tiles are made for recognising patterns. Their simple design of shapes and colours of different sizes helps children classify tiles before they know they are doing it. Connetix even has free resources you can download straight from their site.
Your Child’s Mathematical Growth Is Only Limited by Their Imagination
At Connetix, we believe in designing toys that expand your child’s mind while expanding their innate curiosity to learn through play. If you would like to purchase any of our products, please check out our website.
For more information on how Connetix can help your child grow, please visit our blog.